- Fly to Bhutan via the great Himalayas – touted as the Third Pole – and see the world’s highest peaks that literally reach for the sky. Explore the beautiful Paro valley, the rice bowl of Bhutan. Immerse yourself in the valley’s innumerable myths and legends through visits to ancient temples and fortress-castles. Hike to Taktshang monastery built aloft a ledge on a dizzying cliff wall.
• Capital city, Thimphu: visit the castle-fortress of Tashichhodzong, the Textile Academy, Folk Heritage Museum, Academy of Art and Craft, world’s biggest Buddha statue, Takin Enclave, Memorial Stupa, and indigenous paper factory. Stroll around town to see people, customs and traditions, and other facets of the ancient Kingdom.
• Stop over at Dochula to see the spectacular Himalayas. Visit Botanical Garden, see alpine flowers, birds & wildlife; stopover at “Temple of Fertility”. Visit the magni cent Punakha Castle-Fortress, the epitome of beauty and medieval political power. Also see villages, farms, terraced rice-fields, and parts of Jigme Dorji National Park.
• Drive to the glacial valley of Phobjikha, the home of the graceful but endangered Black-Necked Crane, and the famous Gangtey monastery, through villages, waterfalls, numerous species of birds, mammals and flowers along the way.
• Head interior to Mangde valley, the bastion of power exempli ed by Trongsa Dzong and the Watch Tower Museum of Kings. Head to Bumthang, the valley of “One Thousand Plains”, the beautiful spiritual heartland teaming with monuments and temples built more than a thousand years ago.
Duration: 12 Nights/13 Days
Entry/exit: Paro Airport
Season: year around
Places of visit: Thimphu, Paro, Punakha & Wangdue, Phobjikha, Trongsa, Bumthang